Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica: Why Now is the Time to Buy
For decades, the quiet and pristine stretch of beach called Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica, was known only to surfers and fishermen. You couldn’t find Playa Avellanas in the guidebooks or tourist maps. A little village just south of the touristy center of Tamarindo, Playa Avellanas has remained in relative obscurity as thousands of SPF-slathered, beer-slurping visitors packed other beaches looking for sand, sun, and surf.
Well, Playa Avellanas is a secret no more. It’s finally getting the recognition it deserves, and this rustic setting is quickly becoming a top beach destination.
Why? Playa Avellanas is already famous in the surfing community. It has five different surf breaks along more than a kilometer of soft sand beach. The waves are great for beginner and moderate surfers alike. Surfers have been riding the waves here for decades.
However, today Playa Avellanas is known for much more than surfing. The area has recently been connected to the municipal water system and is currently upgrading to a high-speed fiber optic internet network. It means a wave of development is quickly gaining momentum. Developers looking to get in early are now creating new gated communities, real estate agents can’t keep up with demand, and meanwhile new hotels and restaurants continue to open despite the recent pandemic.
Development in Playa Avellanas
Two major developments are taking place in the area that will significantly add to the area’s population, economy and potential land value. “The Point” is a four-phase condominium and single-family home development 300 meters from the beach. Right now there are just under 30 homes in this exclusive gated community. It advertises two-bedroom and three-bedroom homes starting at under $200,000.
Tucked into the guanacaste and ceiba trees a kilometer away is another large project called “The Enclave.” The Enclave at Avellanas is a luxurious gated community where construction has recently begun on more than 50 luxury villas, nine swimming pools, eight hot tubs and a boutique yoga pavilion. Prices currently range from $299,900 to $499,900 for completed homes. Special Places of Costa Rica also offers several vacant lots for sale at The Enclave to build your own.
The construction has business owners and restaurateurs lining up to get established before real estate prices begin to rise.
Despite its rural setting and dirt roads, Playa Avellanas has a lot going for it. The area is remote and off the beaten path, which is an attractive quality in the socially distanced world we currently inhabit. Improved water, electricity and internet infrastructure are giving visitors and residents the comforts of modern living while still providing a wild, natural environment where monkeys swing from the branches and parrots and macaws crow from the treetops.
Restaurants in Playa Avellanas
Playa Avellanas boasts a surprising number of great restaurants, all located within a 1.5-km radius. The most famous is Lola’s beachfront restaurant. It has a chill outdoor vibe and offers fun views of surfers riding the waves. Lola’s has a great reputation with tourists and locals alike. The main attraction is its unusual pets: two large pigs named Ave and Ana (Avellanas, get it?) and a donkey named Lana. You can see them frolicking down the beach and playing in the waves!
Other restaurants serve up authentic homemade Italian food (Il Rustico), fantastic burgers (Barumis), leisurely Mediterranean brunches (Soul Shine), and wood-fired pizzas (Kon Tiki). Take a short drive to the nearby town of Playa Negra for more options such as Mexican, fine French dining and an assortment of mom and pop restaurants (called sodas) that offer Costa Rica staples such as fried fish and chicken, rice and beans, and fried plantains.
These days new dining choices are opening up all the time. Purruja has a coveted beachfront location where you can enjoy cocktails while snapping pics of the amazing sunsets over the Pacific Ocean. Construction crews are busy right now erecting even more buildings in the area, which will undoubtedly add to the culinary array.
Tamarindo is also a short drive away, offering a wide range of restaurants, shopping and nightlife, as well as modern supermarkets and banks.
Activities in Playa Avellanas
Don’t surf? Don’t worry! The area around Playa Avellanas offers an adventurous assortment of fun activities to keep you active and occupied.
- Yoga: Yoga has been a big part of the Pura Vida lifestyle here since before Lululemon ever existed. A variety of indoor and outdoor studios and shalas offer yoga classes taught by experienced and certified instructors.
- Ziplining: Fly through the forest canopy where the monkeys live and get a bird’s-eye view of the area!
- Stand-up paddling (SUP): You can ride the gentle surf, or glide down a nearby estuary for a relaxing paddle while watching the wildlife.
- Sunset sailing: Sailing tours depart from Tamarindo daily. Enjoy a rum cocktail as the captain guides you and your friends up and down the beautiful coastline. Stop for a snorkel and lunch, and gently sail home as the sun disappears below the ocean waves.
- Sportfishing: Guanacaste fishing guides will take you out on their boats and show you how and where to catch some of the sea’s abundant sportfishing prizes.
- Crocodile tours: There are several national parks within a short drive where you can enjoy activities such as cave exploring or crocodile watching on the Tempisque River. Don’t dangle your feet over the edge of the boat!
- Turtle hatching/nesting: This area of Costa Rica is an important home for vulnerable sea turtles. Leatherbacks, olive ridleys and green turtles all nest and hatch on the beaches that stretch along the coast. Playa Ostional is home to a rare phenomenon known as arribadas (arrivals), where tens of thousands of sea turtles simultaneously come ashore at dusk to lay their eggs. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see a magnificent and breathtaking natural event.
You can also tour a coffee or rum plantation, hike a volcano, visit a spa or just chill out in a hammock.
Imagine Your Future in Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica
Tourists, retirees and businesspeople are always looking for the “next big thing” when it comes to previously unknown places that are destined for big economic growth. . Right now in Costa Rica, that place is Playa Avellanas. It is a perfect mix of a rural, natural setting that still offers modern amenities and comforts.
Buyers can choose between empty lots ready for building, or fully furnished homes with swimming pools and security gates. They’re making waves in Playa Avellanas!
Stop by for a visit on your next vacation or contact Special Places of Costa Rica to arrange a tour .