The Rio Celeste Waterfall Hike & Swim Tour is a great excursion to a sky-blue river and a beautiful waterfall.
Check Pricing & Availability
The Celeste Waterfall Hike & Swim Tour is set in the mountains of northwestern Costa Rica, where we’ll explore the spectacular Rio Celeste and its waterfall. This breathtaking natural wonder is fast becoming one of the country’s most popular attractions.
Rio Celeste means light blue river. Legend has it that after God was done painting the sky, he washed his brushes in the river.
A walk through Tenorio Volcano National Park will take you along the riverbed. Here, you will see (and smell) the Rio Celeste turn from clear to vivid turquoise.
The surrounding scenery is beautiful even if you hike only a portion of the trail. Because the park is at high elevation, it hosts a cloud forest as well as a tropical rainforest and is home to an abundance of wildlife.
Imagine a shining turquoise waterfall, pools and flows in the middle of a lush green rainforest. The hike follows the flow of the river to scenic sites along the way. The Rio Celeste Waterfall Hike & Swim tour is approximately 3 hours in duration.
On our way home we’ll enjoy a Costa Rican lunch and visit yet another waterfall, the stunning Llanos de Cortés, where you’ll be able to cool off with a refreshing swim.
Bring comfortable clothes, shoes, swimsuit, towels, sunscreen and a hat.
What is Included?
- Hike through primary rainforest (3 hours)
- Rio Celeste Waterfall (no swimming), lagoons and river
- Traditional Costa Rican lunch
- Waterfall w/swimming (on the way home)
- Entrance fees
- Bilingual guide
- Transportation w/AC
What is Excluded?
Know Before You Go
- The administration of the national park requires the name and passport number of each visitor, and the entrance fee (included in your package) is not refundable.
- This is a full-day tour.
- Driving time each way: 2.5 hours from Flamingo, 2 hours from Playas del Coco (pickup time: 7 a.m.)
- All ages welcome.