Playa Langosta, Costa Rica: Upscale Meets Chilled Out
If you’re looking for a laid-back, quiet Costa Rica beach town with great surf, great sand, and close to all the amenities you need and want, look no further than Playa Langosta, Costa Rica. Also known as Langosta Beach, this quiet little piece of Costa Rica paradise is a hidden gem, tucked away near the busy tourist and surf center of Tamarindo. It’s truly one of the special places of Costa Rica.
Where is Playa Langosta found?
If you look for Playa Langosta on a map, you’ll find it’s in the Costa Rican province of Guanacaste, in the northwest corner of the country. It’s a beautiful beach community on the Pacific Coast, south of the city of Tamarindo.
It’s less than an hour’s drive from the Guanacaste International Airport (LIR) in Liberia. Playa Langosta is also just north of one of Costa Rica’s top national parks, Las Baulas Marine National Park.
Playa Langosta activities
- Surfing. Playa Langosta is a famous surf spot. The Playa Langosta surf ranks right up there with some of the best in the area, with a left and right break. Unlike Tamarindo beach, the Playa Langosta surf scene is less crowded and surfers don’t have to fight for the best waves. It’s better suited to experienced surfers, as coral and rock outcroppings can be dangerous to novices who don’t know what they’re doing.
- Turtle and wildlife watching. Las Baulas Marine National Park is a protected area where giant leatherback turtles come to nest. Leatherback turtles are the most endangered marine turtles, with as few as 20,000 adult females remaining in the wild. They weigh up to 700 kg (1,500 pounds) and come ashore on the beaches around Langosta to dig nests in which they lay their eggs. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime wildlife encounter that you’ll remember forever. Besides sea turtles, howler monkeys are common throughout the area. Howler monkeys live in trees and are the world’s loudest land animals, with calls that reach 128 decibels (louder than a rock concert!) and can be heard for up to 5 km (3 miles).
- Thrills or chill. There are many tours and adventures for thrill-seekers and outdoor enthusiasts, including ziplining, horseback riding, ATV tours, kayaking and mountain biking. For those who’d rather relax and unwind, grab a book from The Bookstore of the Waves, and head to the beach or find a hammock.
Playa Langosta restaurants
There are just a few restaurants in Playa Langosta. However, there’s a buffet of international and local cuisine just minutes away in Tamarindo. Here are a few of the local favorites:
- Fish & Cheeses. One of the most popular eateries in Playa Langosta, Fish & Cheeses is an authentic Italian gourmet restaurant and deli. It has an extensive Italian wine menu and fresh, homemade pasta and lasagna served in a relaxing outdoor atmosphere. On weekends it features live performances from local musicians. Bellissimo!
- Pizzeria El Sapo Cocktail Bar. Looking for a quick and delicious slice? El Sapo is the ticket. This place gets rave reviews for its pizzas baked in a brick oven, calzones and piña coladas. It also has a good dessert menu.
- Surf Club Bar & Grill. This is a great place to go with friends on a rainy evening or with the whole family. Surf Club Bar & Grill features ping-pong, horseshoes, cornhole, pool, foosball and live sports events on its big-screen televisions. Guests say the ceviche is to die for, and it’s a lively spot for a burger and a beer.
Playa Langosta hotels
Playa Langosta is famous for its luxurious vacation rentals with swimming pools and gorgeous views of the Pacific Ocean. There are also a few hotels, consisting mainly of high-end resorts.
- Langosta Beach Club. This beachside resort has a restaurant that gets positive reviews for its fast, friendly service and delicious food. It has a swimming pool that overlooks the ocean and affordable, all-day surfboard rentals.
- Occidental Tamarindo. This is the only all-inclusive resort in the area, located on the southern edge of Playa Langosta. Recently renovated in 2010, the resort boasts close to 200 rooms that offer stunning views of the ocean.
- Cala Luna Boutique Hotel. Experience “5-star barefoot luxury” at this hotel that has a lavish spa and outdoor pool. Cala Luna features free yoga classes and a restaurant where the chef uses nothing but sustainable, home-grown organic ingredients grown at a nearby farm.
Playa Langosta amenities
Playa Langosta itself doesn’t have much else besides vacation rentals, hotels and the beach. That’s why it attracts so many visitors who want to escape the stresses of modern life. There are no gas stations, ATM machines or grocery stores. However, all these things are readily accessible in Tamarindo, a short drive away.
Playa Langosta FAQs
Here are a few of the most common questions we hear about Playa Langosta, Costa Rica.
Is property expensive near Playa Langosta?
Playa Langosta is a much sought-after location. It has all the chilled vibes and quiet atmosphere of a remote surf village but has easy access to transportation, restaurants, shopping and any other modern-day amenity you can think of.
It has a reputation for being an elite location filled with palatial, expensive vacation rentals exclusively for the rich and famous. They do exist, although you don’t have to be a millionaire to buy property in Playa Langosta.
Many of the Playa Langosta properties listed for sale are surprisingly affordable by North American standards. One charming beachfront home is listed for less than $300,000, which is well below the price of a standard residential bungalow in many major American cities.
Can you swim at Playa Langosta?
Yes, there are many great swimming spots along the beach in Playa Langosta. There are a few places with rocks, although it isn’t a problem if the tide is high.
How far is Playa Langosta from Tamarindo?
Playa Langosta is about 2.5 kilometers (1.5 miles) from Tamarindo and its restaurants, shops and nightlife. You’re never far away from anything you need. Recent development has essentially connected the two communities. As soon as you exit Tamarindo to the south, you’re entering Playa Langosta.
Playa Langosta, Costa Rica: final thoughts
Playa Langosta really has it all. Natural beauty and beaches, family-friendly activities and a quiet, chilled-out vibe that’s perfect for those with hectic lives who need to decompress. If crowded and noisy touristy centers aren’t your style but you still want easy access to modern comforts, then Playa Langosta is your Costa Rica destination.