Renting a Golf Cart in Costa Rica: Real Deals on Four Wheels
Renting a golf cart in Costa Rica is a fun, convenient and affordable way to get around. Driving golf carts to a beach, restaurant or even the grocery store adds a whole other level of enjoyment to your Costa Rica vacation. You can feel the sunshine on your skin and the fresh sea breezes flowing through your hair, while the snow and cold of home feel like they’re a world away.
Golf carts in Costa Rica are licensed, insured and street-legal, with headlights, taillights, turn signals, upgraded brakes and horns. They travel up to 25 miles per hour (40 kph), and some models have seatbelts, off-road tires, lift kits and brush guards.
Whether you’re a single traveler, a couple or an entire family, you’re sure to find a Costa Rica golf cart rental to suit your needs.
Benefits of renting a golf cart in Costa Rica
A Costa Rica golf cart rental has many advantages over renting a car, taking taxis or riding public transportation. Some benefits include:
- Getting around quickly. The hop-on, hop-off style of riding a golf cart means you quickly get to where you want to go. Modern golf carts are compact yet powerful, so they allow you to access areas you wouldn’t be able to get to with a larger vehicle. And you can explore Guanacaste’s beautiful beaches while keeping cool in the shade of the cart’s canopy. And if you lose track of time watching the sunset, don’t worry – the golf cart has headlights.
- They’re convenient. You can fill your golf cart with all your beach supplies, including umbrellas, coolers, towels and beach toys. Take your golf cart from your vacation rental to the grocery store, and you won’t have to worry about carrying everything home by hand or hailing a taxi.
- They’re accessible. Golf carts are also beneficial for families with small children or elderly travelers who cannot walk long distances. Golf carts allow people with mobility issues to access places and participate in activities they’d otherwise miss out on.
- They’re also super-easy to use. Just turn the key, press the accelerator pedal and off you go. Anyone can have fun with a golf cart.
- Golf carts have low emissions. Being eco-friendly is a priority for many travelers, so a golf cart is a perfect green option. Many golf carts are electric and battery-powered and have zero emissions. They can travel up to 15 miles (24 kilometers) before needing a charge. Even carts powered by gasoline emit far fewer emissions than rental cars or SUVs.
Golf cart driving rules in Costa Rica
When driving golf carts on public roadways in Costa Rica, follow all the laws and regulations. Rules that apply to cars and trucks also apply to golf carts. Here are some important driving tips:
- You must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license to drive golf carts in Costa Rica.
- Drive on the right side of the road.
- It’s illegal to operate golf carts on the beach.
- Use your turn signals, even if no one else does.
- Use headlights for fog, rain, dust and night driving.
- Drinking and driving, even in golf carts, is illegal in Costa Rica.
- When approaching a one-lane bridge, traffic facing the “Ceda” sign (“Yield”) must give way to oncoming vehicles.
- Secure your cart and everything in it when leaving it unattended.
- Be courteous to faster cars and don’t block the road.
How much does it cost to rent golf carts in Costa Rica?
Rates vary from dealer to dealer, although prices for a Costa Rica golf cart rental range from $55 to $85 per day, depending on the model you choose. Six-seaters are more expensive than four-seaters. Prices are more expensive in the high season (December through April). Weekly rates range from $320 to $450 per week.
Most dealers require a deposit to make a reservation and require valid credit card details in case of damages. Some offer free gasoline, while other rental companies charge a fee to deliver fuel. Most dealers will deliver your golf cart to your hotel or vacation rental at no charge. Regardless, it pays to shop around and call a few rental agencies before making a reservation.
What happens if my golf cart breaks down?
Most golf cart dealers in Guanacaste provide well-maintained and reliable vehicles. But we all know accidents happen, tires get punctured, and things break down. Most reputable dealers will provide free roadside service and send a mechanic with the necessary parts to repair your cart or deliver a whole new cart for you to drive. Ask what services the company provides.
Where do you rent golf carts in Costa Rica?
There are numerous golf cart rental dealerships in Guanacaste. Many also rent bicycles, side-by-sides and ATVs. Special Places of Costa Rica provides golf cart rental service to all its clients, from Playa Flamingo to Playas del Cocos and beyond. The carts are clean, comfortable, stylish and reliable. We can prepare your cart and have it ready for you when you arrive in Costa Rica.
Golf cart rental in Playa Flamingo and Playas del Coco
Consider a golf cart rental if you’re planning a vacation in the area around Playa Flamingo or Playas del Cocos. They’re convenient, easy to use and fun to drive. You’ll enjoy your vacation rental in Costa Rica even more with a golf cart parked in the driveway just waiting for you to hop on and start exploring.