Table of contents
Looking for the best Costa Rica souvenirs to bring home so you can share the magical memories of your trip with your family and friends? If so, check out this list of local food, beautiful artwork, and novelty items you can bring home as souvenirs from Costa Rica.
Best Costa Rican Souvenirs to Bring Home from Your Trip to Costa Rica
Don’t know what to bring home from your trip to Costa Rica? No problem! Just get one of these popular Costa Rican souvenir items:
Costa Rica Coffee & Coffee Maker
Costa Rica is known for its high-quality coffee, so bringing home a bag of coffee beans is the perfect gift for a coffee lover in your life (even if that person is you!).
While many supermarkets and souvenir shops in Costa Rica will carry coffee, like Cafe Rey, it’s much better to take a coffee tour and buy a small bag of coffee from the plantation for the freshest beans. If you plan to buy Costa Rican coffee while you’re souvenir shopping, you should also plan to purchase a Chorreador de Café (a Costa Rican coffee maker), so you can make your coffee the traditional way!
Cacique is a Costa Rican alcohol made with sugar cane. It’s like vodka but with an alcohol volume of 30%.
Many souvenir stores, supermarkets, or duty-free shops sell Cacique, and it’s a great souvenir to bring home to make drinks or shots at home.
Costa Rican Chocolate
Planning to take a chocolate tour during your trip to Costa Rica? If so, grab some delicious chocolate bars or products to bring home as Costa Rica souvenirs.
Costa Rica is one of the top producers of world-class cacao and produces rich, fruity chocolate from the regions of La Fortuna, Monteverde, and Puerto Viejo. It’s one of the best souvenirs for chocolate lovers. If you can’t pick up chocolate on a chocolate tour, consider picking some up at a supermarket or the airport before heading home.
Salsa Lizano is a type of sauce that is used in traditional Costa Rican dishes. The taste is similar to Worcestershire sauce. While buying souvenirs, you can also purchase tasty hot sauce to use on your dishes made at home from local supermarkets like Auto Mercado. Both these local items make excellent gifts for friends, and the best part is—they’re sold at affordable prices!
You’ll see tons of wildlife during your trip to Costa Rica. Costa Rica is home to sea turtles, humpback whales, monkeys, sloths, and other lovable creatures, including birds, reptiles, mammals, and marine animals. You can see several animals in Costa Rica’s protected natural spaces, like national parks, throughout the country, or on day tours from your vacation rental.
Before leaving each national park, head to the souvenir shop to pick up a miniature plush animal, like a monkey or a whale.
These stuffed animals make great Costa Rica souvenirs for small children or even adults!
Jewelry is one of the best souvenirs you can bring home from Costa Rica because it’s something you can wear but also something that supports local artists around the country. Whether you buy earrings, a necklace, or a bracelet, be sure to have a conversation with the local Costa Ricans to learn the story behind each piece of jewelry.
Where to Find Costa Rica Souvenirs
- Tamarindo: Looking for unique Costa Rica souvenirs, like handmade goods and local trinkets? If so, check out the Tamarindo Night Market if you visit this famous small town and beach destination!
- San Jose: If you’re planning on visiting the country’s capital during your visit to Costa Rica, pick up a Costa Rica souvenir (or fill your shopping bags with goodies!) from Mercado Central (Central Market) with 100+ local vendors.
- Central Valley: Coffee and sugarcane are grown around La Fortuna, Arenal Volcano, and the Monteverde Cloud Forest, so this is a great spot to buy coffee beans, candy, and other souvenirs from Costa Rica made with these crops.
- Street Vendors: If you’re looking for Costa Rica souvenirs you can find without going out of your way, you’ll likely see vendors on your way to national parks, beaches, and other destinations that will sell unique items you can bring home with you.
- Airport: Need to do some last-minute shopping before boarding your flight? You can buy Costa Rican souvenirs at souvenir stores at the San Jose International Airport or Liberia International Airport.
Helpful Tips for Buying Costa Rica Souvenirs
- Use Costa Rican colones instead of USD to get the best deal, and when possible, use a credit card, so you don’t have to calculate the exchange rate.
- Double-check the price to ensure you’re paying with the correct currency (USD or colones). You want to avoid getting scammed!
- Haggle with vendors to get the best deal (it’s part of the culture!) but never haggle so much that it’s awkward or disrespectful.
- Never take any natural items like seashells, sand, coral reefs, or plants home from Costa Rica.
- Check liquid items like alcohol, coffee, or hot sauce in your checked bag. Don’t try to bring bottles with liquid in a carry-on bag. After going through security, you can also buy liquid items at the airport.
Stay with Special Places of Costa Rica for a Memorable Vacation to Costa Rica
If you’re looking for somewhere to stay during your Costa Rican vacation, look no further than Special Places of Costa Rica. We offer beachfront homes, luxury villas, and affordable condos so that you can find the perfect “home away from home” during your trip to Costa Rica.
Make a reservation for your upcoming vacation today!